Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Final Exam, Frame 2

In the second frame, the writer is talking about a method that helps people improve their writing. This method is getting other people's thoughts and opinions on the idea to help add to the context of the paper. The writer thinks that sometimes when someone gets stuck in the middle of writing something, it helps to get other people's input on the topic to help the writer better understand the topic of discussion. Instead of just sitting there stuck, the writer can turn to peers with questions and for advice. The writer also encourages group work whenever possible because it truly helps students learn more when there are more minds working together to solve a problem. Without the input from friends and classmates, it is hard to write a paper alone because the only one thinking about the topic is the writer. Whenever something is being written, the best advice anyone can give the writer is to get other people to read through it and share their feelings on the topic.

"The writing process can be greatly improved if students have a group of peers with whom they can share their writing". This view point of writing applies to my own experiences of writing in this course. With every essay we wrote, we had peers review our papers before the final draft was due to the instructor. Most comments that were submitted were construction criticism and truly helped people's papers improve. The idea of peer editing is an educational one. By reading other people's papers, the reader can have a better understanding of what is going through the writer's head. The reader can also learn from what they have read to improve their own writing skills. Whenever I got comments from other people, they were all very helpful. They told me things I had done well in my essays and things I needed to improve. There was never a comment that I was offended by and I took all of the advice to heart. Many of my paper's best qualities came through because peers suggested I change something in my paper. Without peer editing, my essays would not have been so high in quality. Group work is what made my essays what they are and I think peer editing is necessary in all writing activities.

"If you are stuck writing or trying to figure something out, there is nothing better than finding one person, or more, to talk to". This view of writing matched my own experience because whenever I got stuck and got advice from someone it was helpful. The effort it takes to write a great essay is tiring and no one can write a great essay alone. Everyone needs help at least once throughout the process of writing an essay. The only way this writing experience did not match my experience in this course was that some people were closed minded to my opinions. Sometimes when I would give someone an idea on how to improve their paper, they would shoot it down. This was not offending to me because I knew I was not the one writing the actual paper. I just moved on and kept trying to make my paper better.

Everyone needs help in writing. No one can just jump right into a course and be perfect at everything. Working in groups truly helps writer's improve their pieces and they should never turn someones idea down before they even take a minute to consider it. Peer editing was one of the most helpful things for me in this course and I am glad everyone was required to help others. A paper is what you make it and you can't do it alone, that is why there are peers around you to help you achieve your best work possible.

No comments: